The Hereditary Oncology Prevention and Evaluation (HOPE) Program
A Service of The Cancer Institute of New Jersey
The Hereditary Oncology Prevention and Evaluation (HOPE) Program is available to Steeplechase Cancer Center patients through The Cancer Institute of New Jersey's (CINJ) LIFE Center at The Steeplechase Center at Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital Somerset.
The program is designed for anyone who is concerned about his or her risk for developing cancer based on family history or personal medical history. It is especially helpful for those with:
- Family members diagnosed with cancer at a younger age than the average in the general population - typically younger than age 50
- Family members with the same type of cancer or related cancers, such as breast and ovarian cancers, or colon and endometrial cancers
- At least two generations affected with cancer and/or pre-cancerous lesions
- Family members with less common types of cancer, such as pancreatic or ovarian cancers
- One family member who has had several different types of cancer
What to Expect
During your initial appointment, you will meet with a HOPE genetic counselor. You can expect to:
- Provide information about your personal and family medical history
- Discuss how your personal and family medical histories impact your risk for cancer
- Learn how to manage your risk for cancer using screening and prevention strategies
- Review the benefits and limitations of genetic testing, if appropriate
- Learn about the specific federal and state laws that protect individuals from genetic discrimination.
Follow-up visits may be necessary based on the discussion and recommendations at your initial appointment. Our staff will work with you regarding insurance coverage and payment options. Any specific questions or concerns that you may have can be addressed during your appointment.
About The Cancer Institute of New Jersey
The Cancer Institute of New Jersey (CINJ) is dedicated to improving the prevention, detection, treatment and care of patients with cancer, through the transformation of laboratory discoveries into clinical practice. As a Center of Excellence of the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey - Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, CINJ is committed to learning more about cancer and making its discoveries available to the public to aid in disease prevention.
To make an appointment with the HOPE Program at The Steeplechase Cancer Center, call 908-927-8716.