Survivors in Motion Oncology Rehabilitation Program
Cancer treatment, including surgery, radiation therapy and chemotherapy, can have a wide range of side effects that impact your quality of life. Throughout your treatment and recovery, you may experience fatigue, decreased physical fitness, balance problems and muscle weakness. At the same time, you may be coping with psychological issues such as depression and anxiety.
Regular exercise has been shown to help cancer survivors alleviate the side effects of treatment, helping you return to your normal activities and improve your life expectancy.
Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital Somerset’s Steeplechase Cancer Center takes a multidisciplinary approach to cancer care and is proud to be one of the first cancer centers in New Jersey to offer oncology rehabilitation services and one of only a few in the region to offer specialized rehabilitation for lymphedema and head and neck cancers.
The Survivors in Motion oncology rehabilitation program is designed for cancer survivors of all ages and fitness levels, with special consideration to the unique health challenges of people living with cancer. Our goal is to improve the quality of your life by helping you regain your highest level of functioning.
How Can Oncology Rehabilitation Help Me?
Individuals with all types of cancer can benefit by staying physically active during and after their treatment. Benefits may include:
• Enhanced physical fitness
• Increased muscle strength and tone
• Improved energy and endurance
• Better sleep
• Greater flexibility
• Less pain
• Reduced stress, depression and anxiety
• Lower risk of cancer recurrence
What Program is Right For Me?
We offer a variety of group and individual exercise program or one-on-one therapy sessions to meet your needs. Our experienced rehabilitation team includes physical therapists, exercise physiologists, occupational therapists and speech and language therapists.
Our oncology rehabilitation services include:
• Physical therapy evaluation and treatment
• Occupational therapy evaluation and treatment
• Speech, voice and swallowing evaluation and treatment, including rehabilitation for head and neck cancers
• Specialized lymphedema evaluation and treatment
• The Wellness Workout, which features a variety of progressive exercises using resistance bands and floor exercises geared to individuals of all ages and fitness levels. Exercises may be done standing or seated with some modifications.
• Conquering Cancer: Step by Step, a personalized exercise program focused on increasing strength, flexibility, balance and endurance monitored by an exercise physiologist. Group or individual sessions available.
• Moving On From Cancer, an exercise class designed for breast cancer survivors who have completed treatment. The class focuses on correcting posture, strengthening core muscles, increasing range of motion and stretching and strengthening muscle groups affected by breast cancer treatment.
Financial assistance is available to eligible candidates.