||Click the tabs above to learn more about our featured areas of care.
Breakthrough Cancer Care
Working in partnership with the Rutgers Cancer Institute of New Jersey, Robert Wood Johnson Medical School and private physicians in the community, RWJ offers a full-range of medical, surgical and radiological weapons to help patients in their battle against the disease while preserving quality of life.
- 103 inpatient adult and pediatric cancer beds
- Same-day chemotherapy unit: seven-day-a-week patient access for quality and convenience
- Nationally accredited Breast Care Connection Program
- Bone marrow transplant
- Radiation Oncology Department providing the latest advances in radiotherapy including : Gamma Knife, Intensity-modulated radiation therapy (IMRT), Stereotactic radiosurgery, Total skin electron beam therapy, Image-guided radiation therapy
- Access to state-of-the-art surgical technology, including the latest in minimally invasive techniques like robotic surgery.
Our facility incorporates the varied disciplines that define advanced state-of-the-art approaches in comprehensive cancer care. These approaches include sophisticated techniques in diagnosis, surgical options, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, biological therapy, and radiation therapy.
As the flagship hospital for the Rutgers Cancer Institute of New Jersey,
patients are treated by a multidisciplinary team of specialists
who focus on a specific type of cancer led physicians who
are experts in the cause and treatment of that disease.
Physicians and scientists work side by side to make sure
the most advanced and sophisticated treatments get to the
patients quickly and safely. Outstanding scientific contributions
towards the national goal of reducing the incidence of cancer and
improving the outcomes for cancer patients continue to be made.
Our main areas of care and focus include but are not limited to:
- Blood and Marrow Transplant
- Breast Oncology
- Gastrointestinal Oncology
- Gynecologic Oncology
- Leukemia, Lymphoma, Hematologic Malignancies
- Liver and Bile Duct Cancer
- Melanoma and Soft Tissue Oncology
- Prostate Cancer
- Thoracic Oncology
- Urologic Oncology
- Pediatric Hematology and Oncology
Call 1-888-809-6519 or
Send Us an Email
Our breast cancer care team includes a collaborative
approach among medical oncologists, surgical
oncologists, radiation oncologists, breast
radiologists, nurse practitioners, plastic and
reconstructive surgeons, pathologists, social
workers, oncology education specialists and
clinical psychologists for the evaluation of
common breast problems, including:
- abnormal mammograms,
- breast lumps and
- other breast symptoms
The multidisciplinary team meets each week to
discuss patient cases and determine the best
course of treatment.
- Breast ultrasound
- Ultrasound-guided core breast biopsy
- Ultrasound-guided fine needle biopsy
Under One Roof
Patients do not have to travel to different locations to see a surgeon, medical oncologist, radiation oncologist or receive chemotherapy. Other program highlights include:
- Genetic counseling
- Access to clinical trials
Both available through our relationship with Rutgers Cancer Institute of New Jersey.
Call 1-888-809-6520 or
Send Us an Email
Our Urologic Oncology Program provides highly
specialized care for patients with tumors of the
genitourinary (GU) tract.
Our physicians have specialized clinical and research interest in tumors of the prostate, testes, kidney, and bladder.
Our physicians are leaders in laparoscopic renal
procedures and have extensive experience with
robotic prostatectomy. We have developed a center
of excellence for robotic surgery.
We offer a unique range of treatments for patients with
low risk prostate cancer through to those with the most
Active Surveillance Program
This program is for patients at very low risk for prostate cancer. The program is also designed to minimize the risk of intervention by carefully analyzing the risk factors. There is a set criteria we follow which is based on the best research available.
||Many patients will never need treatment and this program helps to monitor and treat if necessary.
For patients whom other treatments have been
unsuccessful. It is very high risk but offers a
treatment for patients who thought they were out
Available through Rutgers Cancer Institute of New Jersey, these trials are designed to examine the use of a combination of chemotherapy, radiation therapy and
We offer a multidisciplinary clinic:
- urological oncologists
- radiation oncologists
- medical oncologists
Call 1-888-809-6522 or Send Us an Email
The Thoracic Oncology Program is a multidisciplinary clinical
and scientific group designed to offer a full spectrum of the
latest, most advanced treatments for patients with cancer of the lung, pleura, and mediastinum and has outstanding
outcomes for morbidity and mortality.
Patients have access to the latest in minimally invasive
surgical options and ongoing clinical trials.
- Respiratory therapists
- Medical oncologists
Non-small Cell Lung Cancer
- squamous cell carcinoma
- large cell carcinoma
Each patient's treatment regimen is individualized according
to the type of lung cancer, the size of the tumor, the location
of the tumor, whether the cancer has spread, and the general
health of each patient. There are three main forms of cancer
treatment for lung cancer:
- Video-assisted thoracic surgery
Minimally invasive approach that eliminates the need to spread the ribs for lung cancer surgery.
It is used for diagnostic and therapeutic purposes.
- Muscle sparing surgery
Results in patients having less pain and more movement when compared to an open procedure.
They may be used alone or in different combinations
Call 1-888-809-6534 or Send Us an Email
The dedicated doctors and researchers of the Gynecologic Oncology Program take a multidisciplinary approach to the treatment of and research on cancers of the female reproductive system. Our physicians are trained to perform surgery as well as medically manage patients.
- State-of-the-art, comprehensive care
for women with gynecologic malignancies.
- Continuity of Care Model: The same
oncology team cares for the patient from time of diagnosis through last treatment.
- Experts in both minimally invasive and
- Patients have access to the latest clinical
trials available in cervical and ovarian cancers through the Rutgers Cancer Institute of New Jersey.
For Patients with Limited Treatment Options
- Gynecologic oncology team works closely with the Development Therapeutics Group at the Rutgers Cancer Institute of New Jersey to provide hope for new, innovative treatments and therapies.
- Access to support groups and a dedicated social worker.
- Genetic counseling available for patients that may be predisposed to gynecologic cancers.