Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital
 

Allergen: Insect Stings

Allergen: Insect Stings

Insect stings that most commonly cause allergic reactions

Insects that are members of the Hymenoptera family most commonly cause allergic reactions. These include:

Allergic reactions to insect stings

Usually, the reaction is short-lived, with redness and swelling followed by pain and itching. Generally, the reaction lasts only a few hours, although some may last longer.

For other people, however, allergic reactions to these insect stings can be life-threatening. This severe reaction is a medical emergency that can involve organ systems throughout the body. The reaction is called anaphylaxis and can include severe symptoms such as:

Immediate medical attention is required.

Can insect stings be prevented?

Avoidance of insects is the best preventive measure. Suggestions include:

Treatment for insect stings

Specific treatment for insect stings will be determined by your doctor based on:

Suggestions for immediate treatment for highly allergic people, according to the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology, include:

Click here to view the
Online Resources of Allergy & Asthma

 

Top of Page return to top of page