What to Expect
The Kidney and Pancreas Transplant Center
What to Expect
Your First Evaluation
Your first appointment with the RWJUH team will last approximately four hours. You will meet with a variety of different transplant teammembers, including:
- transplant nephrologist
- transplant surgeon
- nurse coordinator
- transplant dietitian
- social worker
- transplant financial counselor
Having you meet with all of these different specialists will help us personalize your care plan and make the most informed decision about whether or not you are a candidate for transplant.
Some additional testing may be necessary at your initial appointment. Once we have all of the necessary information, the transplant team at RWJUH will evaluate your case individually and determine if you are a candidate for a new kidney.
About Your Procedure and Stay at Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital
- Surgery is performed by board-certified UNOS approved transplant surgeons.
- Families can wait in the comfort of our surgical waiting area. Once the procedure is complete, the transplant surgeon will speak to the family in person to update them on your condition.
- You should plan to be in the hospital for four to ten days.
- Your transplant team will continue to educate you and your family about life after kidney transplant.
Life After Kidney Transplant
- After transplant, our transplant teamcontinues to support you in your goal of resuming a normal life.
- We have two dedicated transplant pharmacists to assist you in managing your daily immunosuppressive medications.
- The most important thing to remember is to take your immunosuppressive medications to prevent rejection.
- For the first three months after surgery, frequent follow-up visits to the transplant office are necessary to ensure the health of your new kidney.
- Once three months have passed, you will have completed the post-operative recovery period and will not be required to take as many medications and primary care will be turned back over to your nephrologist.
- Each patient is assigned a nurse coordinator that can help with any questions or problems.
- We have a dietitian and social worker dedicated to our transplant patients that can help you with transplant education and support.