Founded in 1975, the Somerset Family Practice Residency Program is a well-established, community-based, university-affiliated program. We are the only residency program based in our full-service 355-bed community hospital and maintain a very active outpatient practice at the Somerset Family Practice Center.
- Acting Internships
As acting interns on the Family Practice Inpatient Service, students on this rotation:
- work with the resident team providing direct patient care
- attend daily teaching rounds with faculty
- participate in the residency program’s educational conferences
- Student Clerkships
Teaching basic high quality primary care is the focus of the clerkship experience. Under the preceptorship of a faculty mentor, students are guaranteed direct hands-on experience. The clerkship includes:
- office visits, home visits, nursing home visits & well baby clinics
- residency program’s educational conferences
- exposure to the following office procedures: colposcopy, LEEP, sigmoidoscopy, endometrial sampling, minor skin surgery, and nasopharyngoscopy
MEALS AND HOUSING
- Meal allowance cards are provided for use at Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital Somerset's Cafeteria.
- For students who wish to stay overnight, a call room is provided, offering a lounge with TV, VCR and refrigerator, and a shared bathroom. (The medical center observes a no-smoking policy in all areas.)
- A car is not required, but is helpful in our suburban location. Parking is free.
MEDICAL STUDENT CONTACT
Student Coordinator: Frances Wu, M.D.
Somerset Family Practice Residency Program
110 Rehill Avenue
Somerville, NJ 08876
New Jersey regulations permit us to accept student clerks and acting interns from domestic medical schools and from St. Georges School of Medicine.
For further information:
Somerset Family Practice Center