SOMERSET MEDICAL CENTER RECOGNIZES NURSES OF THE YEAR
May 14, 2012
SOMERVILLE, NJ, May 3, 2012 – Somerset Medical Center has awarded its highest nursing honor to Melanie Jasina, BS, RN, CEN of Hillsborough, assistant nurse manager of the medical center’s Emergency Department.
Jasina received the 2012 Jean Dougherty Award, named in honor of a former Somerset Medical Center nurse who served as a role model for her standards of practice, high performance, loyalty to the medical center and advocacy for nurses and patients.
A nurse in Somerset Medical Center’s Emergency Department since 1991, Jasina was commended for her teamwork, mentoring role and serving as a strong patient advocate.
“Melanie consistently maintains high standards of nursing care and demonstrates excellent clinical knowledge and skills,” said Kathleen Cummins, MS, RN, APN -C, ACNS-BC, vice president of nursing operations. “ Patient satisfaction is a priority for her and she focuses on being a patient advocate”.
During a special ceremony held May 2 in celebration of National Nurses’ Week, Ken Bateman, president and chief executive officer, James Heston, chairman of the Board of Trustees, Paul Stahlin, vice chairman of the Board of Trustees, John Carroll, MD, chief medical officer, Betty Sanchez-Catanese, MD, president of the medical/dental staff, and Maureen Schneider, RN, MSN, MBA, Ph.D.(c), CNAA, B.C., CPHQ, FACHE, senior vice president of clinical program development and chief nursing officer, thanked the medical center’s nurses for their efforts to provide the highest quality care to patients and their families. Somerville Borough Council President Jane Kobuta also presented a special proclamation for Nurses’ Week.
The following Nurse of the Year Awards were also presented:
• Practice Award – Harvinder Singh, RNC, of Hillsborough
• Performance Improvement Award – Tara Drumgool, BSN, RNC, of Bridgewater
• Professional Development Award – Lisa Frey Redler, BSN, RN, ONC, of Kendall Park
• Patient/Family Education Award – Annette Cortazzo, RN, of Bridgewater
• Research Award – Nora Roan, MSN, RN, APN, DNP (c), of Monroe
• Patient Satisfaction Award – Lori Petty, BSN, RN, of Hackettstown
• PCT of the Year Award – Effil Hemmings, of Plainfield
• Friend of Nursing Award – Luigi Brunetti, PharmD, BCPS, CGP, of Elmwood Park
• Innovation Award -- Lynn Freeland, RN, MSN, RN-C, IBCLC, of Roselle Park; Melissa Zimmermann, RN, BSN of Bound Brook; Debra O’Connor, RN, BSN, RN-C of South Amboy; and Christy Heckman, RN, BSN, of Phillipsburg
Somerset Medical Center is a nationally accredited, regional medical center providing comprehensive emergency, medical/surgical and rehabilitative services and a broad range of community programs to Central New Jersey residents. It is nationally recognized as a Magnet® hospital for nursing excellence. The medical center is an affiliate of the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School and a clinical research affiliate of The Cancer Institute of New Jersey.
For more information about Somerset Medical Center, visit www.somersetmedicalcenter.com.
DataSource: Conversion failed when converting from a character string to uniqueidentifier.