Now Accepting Teen Volunteers For Weekdays ONLY
We are now accepting a limited number of applications for weekday service at both the New Brunswick and Somerset campuses. Weekday opportunities are from 4 to 6 p.m. for ages 15 and up, or 6 to 8 p.m. for ages 16 and up. There are currently no opportunities to volunteer on Saturday and Sunday. If you are unable to commit to a weekday shift, please do not call for an application as there will be no opportunity for placement.
New Brunswick: 732-937-8507 | Somerset: 908-685-2952
Our Volunteen program is for teens who want to serve their community and designed to give students who are interested in pursuing a career in healthcare or medical research access to the operations of our world-class hospitals. Teen volunteer opportunities are available mornings, afternoons and evenings, seven days a week at both the New Brunswick and Somerset campuses of RWJUH. RWJ Volunteens support the hospital by greeting, directing and escorting visitors, visiting patients on nursing floors, assisting in the gift shop, and discharging patients.
Volunteen Service Requirements:
- Age: 15 to 18 years old (minimum of entering the 10th grade)
- Time Commitment: A weekly commitment of 2 hours of service for one year, with a minimum of 100 hours of volunteer service
- Volunteer Orientation Class: Attendance at orientation for new volunteers
- Personal Interview with the director of Volunteer Services
- Medical Form: Signed by personal physician (including vaccination information)
- TB Screening: Two-step process performed at RWJUH at no charge
- Dress Code: A RWJ Polo shirt purchased by volunteer (cost: $10), khaki slacks or skirt
- Flu Vaccine: Required during designated flu season
Please be aware that we do not offer internships or shadowing opportunities.
We make it easy for interested teens to get started: To begin the Volunteen registration process and receive an application, call Volunteers Services between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. During this conversation, we will ask some preliminary questions about your interests and availability. Please note that we are unable to send applications at a parent’s request.
If you have any questions, please contact the Volunteer Services department between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.
New Brunswick: 732-937-8507